Gutter guard protection can improve home safety significantly. It is a fact that a home is an unsafe environment. Every year there are thousands of injuries and even deaths from home-related accidents. Kitchens, bathrooms and stairs are probably the most dangerous areas inside a home. Outside the home, falling off ladders is a major contributor, frequently while cleaning gutters. Anything to reduce the risk of accidents and the associated risks of serious injury, permanent incapacity or even death should interest the homeowner.
There are many causes of ladder accidents while cleaning gutters at home. Among these causes are:
- Instability of the ladder. Commonly due to uneven ground, insecure positioning on the roof or against the wall or gutter. There is also the issue of possible damage to walls, roofs and the gutters themselves while using a ladder. Secure placement of a ladder can be a frequent issue.
- Poor maintenance of ladders. This can cause the ladder to break or to become wobbly. Ladders are used for many years and can become quite unsafe as a result of poor maintenance.
- Contact with electrical wiring. Whether by accident or by grasping at electrical wiring while attempting to prevent a fall.
- Improper clothing, which can catch on projections and cause the ladder and anyone standing on it, to topple sideways and fall.
- Vertigo or dizziness issues. Many people are suddenly overtaken by dizziness when working at a high height
These dangers of gutter cleaning become greater with increasing age and infirmity. Even though the person may feel perfectly healthy, a developing condition may show at just the wrong time; in fact, this is the most likely time for such a condition to reveal itself. It is also a fact that persons older than the age of 65 face a much higher risk of accidents, especially falling. And when someone is on a ladder, what might have otherwise been a minor stumble or fall or just a temporary dizzy spell can quickly become something much more serious.
The invention of gutter guard protection is a blessing for homeowners – one which is expected soon to become the standard. Not only will it eliminate the risks associated with cleaning gutters, but it will cut expenses for gutter cleaning and remove a tiresome chore from the homeowner. However, to achieve these benefits it is important to choose a gutter guard system which works as intended and does not itself become clogged with detritus. Gutter protection systems which are nomaintenance are therefore essential for peace of mind. A bonus would be if the gutter protection system actually strengthened the guttering, enabling it to withstand more in the way of challenges from the weather!
Home safety should be a prime consideration for a responsible homeowner, even if the savings available are not a major concern. By eliminating a dangerous job, even if it is not that frequent, quality of life is improved as well as greater peace of mind achieved. Such incremental improvements soon build up and allow more time for preferred activities. When the time for a decision arrives, in terms of improved home value, increased safety, reduced expenses and more free time, installing a properly-designed gutter guard protection is a simple no-brainer.